After reviewing tye excellent advice I recieved from David and Sylvain, I decided to scrap my overly complicated idea to trace the profile of the top onto a 2×4 rail and just chop out the space required to fit the rail into the top. Genius.First things first, I made the measurements and drew lines to show me where to cut and which planks needed trimming. Only 6 or so of the planks needed to be cut. I pulled out the crosscut saw and went to town.
Since I was only cutting a few planks and only going about 5/8″ deep it only took a minute or two to get the paralell cuts I needed. Next I took my 1″ chisel and rubber mallet and just hacked out the waste.
Easy! So much faster than carving the profile in the rail. Thanks again guys!
Then I shifted sides and moved on to the other side. I followed the same formula and within 10 minutes or the the other rail’s bed (is that the right phrase for this?) was chopped out and ready.
Since I had a little more time (thanks to my wonderful wife, for taking the kids!) in the shop I went ahead and figured the height I needed for each of the legs (taking into account how kuch each side was bowed and assuming I have to remove 1/8″ at most to level the top) and measured and cut the legs to length. This was actually pretty easy. These cuts were easily the most accurate of the whole project. I didn’t take any pictures because, well, they just look like a piece of wood with a straight edge… Slow and steady pulls, light pressure on the saw and keep it level…the saw did all the work. Nice.
I think I’m getting close to being ready for assembling the base…feels like only another day or two away…