I got back to work shaping the chop for my leg vise today. I have had one too many instances of thinking, “mam, this would be a lot easier if I had that vise done…” on various projects in the last fee weeks. Right! Time to get to work!
I spent about 45 minutes paring away the side today trying to match the bevel and shap of the first side I did a while ago.
Not much to tell about it really—just clamped it to the bench and had at it with chisels and rubber mallet. Slowly the waste came off to the point the block plane became effective.
Last thing I did was to chamfer the upper edges of the chop with the block plane. You can see the results (very slightly) in the above photo. I will apply another bevel along the endgrain…maybe to match the sides or maybe not…either way, its almost time for the decorative carving I’m planning, then installation!