Continuing work on the Telrad base was easy—cloudy nights=busy days.
I added a wedge to the front of the Telrad base to make it more secure when attached, shaped the whole thing and made some nice edges. I think this is just going to be an experiment in getting it done—if I like how it handles in the field, I may make it out of oak or something more stable and solid than pine (this was all pieces of 2×4 cutoff).
I had the wooden part in the bench vise, then shaped the angles of the top to match the angled Telrad base with a block plane and a chisel (on the knots).The above picture shows it as I started to shape the angle. It took surprisingly little time! Maybe 10 minutes.
Assuming everything holds up in the field, I will use this prototype to test finishes for waterproofing and painting. Once I get it all refined, I’ll likely find myself a nice piece of hardwood and make a nicer looking base. Or I may just say the heck with it and use this one!
Time will tell, but if the clouds don’t freakin’ get out of here it’s a moot point…