Lots of stuff to get caught up on…been finding that I need the bench vise more and more for random tasks so I decided to mount it to a plank that can be clamped to the bench.
In effect, I made another bench appliance.
Pretty self-explanatory…I drilled 3 holes in a piece of scrap 1/2″ plywood I had left over from when I worked on my old toy chest. But, the bolts stuck out about 2 inches too long and wouldn’t let me mount it on top of the bench without messing up the surface.
So, I took a piece of scrap aspen the same size, drilled holes big enough for the snub bolts and nuts (I trimmed the bolts to less than 1/2″ first) to fit inside the second layer. Unfortunately the last scrap piece of aspen I had wasn’t quite long enough to cover the first layer, so I turned it sideways and there was just enough!
Drilled pilot holes, glued and screwed and voila, my bench vise is ready for action and can be stowed underneath on the new utility shelf when not needed!
You can see there’s a bit of an overhang on the upper layer of plywood. I’ll go back and trim that off the next chance I get. I don’t have a particular reason, just… aesthetics I guess.