After finishing up the leg vise, I had a little bit of time leftover and decided to get cracking on Mjolnir (yeah, it thinks a lot of itself!).
I finalized the design and drew it on the handle. It has the typical laminated mallet shape, tapered inside the head to lock the handle in place. I decided ti add a little detail to the handle and a pommel. Totally not necessary but I’m having fun now.
I started to cut the handle free of the excess wood and discovered that hickory is a real tough wood and you sure can’t go too fast. Once I found a nice smooth rhythm though, the saws really made a nice cut.
Real happy how this is turning out so far. Looks a little wonky in the picture, but the handle will be thinned out. I just didn’t want to make the cut too close to the line just yet.
Maybe it’s just the relief that the leg vise is done…at any rate, but I am really looking forward to getting to pound stuff with this bad boy.