Ah, it’s good to be back in the shop. Took a break there for a while to go on a trip to the Bahamas with the family. We had a blast but the only woodworking I did was reading about it and sawing some “Z”s by the pool.
To get back in the swing of things (projects and ideas are starting to pile up) I decided to knock out something that’s been on the list since the beginning: the mallet.
Poor, sad, Mjolnir, assembled crooked in a fit of panic was left on my bench for a few weeks while I contemplated how to finish it. I decided to try and use the bench belt sander Dad donated to my shop (see the tool gloat, another post) just before we took off for the Islands to try and shape the misshapen hickory head into what I had originally planned. After 30 minutes of billowing hickory particles swirling around my head I came to two conclusions: (1) that belt sander KICKS ASS and is way too much fun, and (2) that hickory is way to hard (it would rather self-immolate rather than sand nicely) and just burns.
So, instead of trying to fix something that is outside my skill-set and or tool capabilities, I decided to embrace my creation, give it a new name and move on. I have learned some valuable lessons about building a mallet that I can use in the future and despite my best efforts to destroy this thing, it actually is quite usable now that it’s all chamfered and sanded smooth. It packs a solid wallop and I’m quite happy with it’s performance, even if the handle is a bit…crooked.