Practice box complete.

It’s finished!

4 coats of poly-spray, sanded with 220 paper in between each coat.  Final coat got a rubbing of newspaper (I didn’t have any brown paper bags) and it came out better than I expected.

I mortised the hinges in the lid with a utility knife to mark the lines, then used my chisels to cut out the notch.IMAG2489

Once I was done, I had a nice flush fit of the hinges in the lid.IMAG2490

I was going to do the same for the hinges that were attached to the back of the box, but even without mortising them in, the lid sat a little towards the front (maybe 1/16″) and it was enough that if I cut a mortise, the lid would be too far to the front.  Looking at it from the front, no one but me would notice, but it would bug me.

Also, I noticed the lid cupped a bit during the staining and finishing process.  I was very surprised to see just how much (maybe 1/16″).  I realized then that I didn’t apply the last 2 coats of finish to the underside of the lid (or the last 2 coats of stain) because I was running low on both.  Aha!  Lesson learned.  This box has been full of learning.  I love it.IMAG2496

More importantly, my better half likes it!IMAG2492

Yeah, gotta love the expedient screwdriver lid-prop.

Advertisements

About Steven M. Vaught

A native son of Delaware, now living in Illinois, Steven is a writer, family historian, amateur astronomer, sometimes-gardener, woodworker, father to three wonderful children, husband to a wonderful wife, and caretaker of one cheeky vizsla.
This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s