Note to my readers: This entry is part of the secret project I’ve mention previously. Now that it’s been delivered, I can post this without ruining the surprise…
I put some more time in on the carving….another two days (which is really only about 4 hours), and it’s all done!
I carefully trimmed the wood to the pencil lines then used chisels to gentle chamfer the edges of the letters and the winged foot. Then I trimmed an emory board to a point amd used the two sides to sand the edges nice amd smooth.
To get the shadows on the sandal straps, I undercut the edges, creating a nice line that is subtle but there.
Finally I needed a way to whole the background less…chaotic.
I don’t have a curved neck chisel so I couldn’t really get the wavy pattern to go away (the gouges erased some grooves and mad more in a never ending spiral).
So, reading up on the problem led me to the following solution: I took the mallet and a medium nail set and tapped away. Every tap left a tiny little circle impressed in the wood. When I tapped…and tapped…a lot…it created a background that seemed to lower the highpoints and let your eye focus on the raised elememts of the carving. In effect, the winged foot and initials really _pop_!!
I am really happy with how this turned out since it’s my first attempt at relief carving!