Today, I transferred all my measurements from the plans to the 1/2″ ACX plywood (4’x4′ sheets) I bought last week. Whipped out the Versacut and sliced and diced till i had the sides, top, bottom shelf, main shelf inner support and toy front cut out.
I also decided to lose the lop shelf and shrink the height from 42″ to 36″ to better fit the space i have to work with in Kylie’s room. Also decided to cut down the large book space (20″ is way too big) and add a door for her to have a little secret compartment. Should be fun.
I love changing designs on the fly!
Sketched out the design for little flowers to be cut out on sides of toy storage compartment front to add a little pzazz to the front. Basically, I’m going to drill a hole for the center of the flower, then use the drill and a jig saw to cut out petals and stems and leaves. Should leave a scrollsaw-esque stencil pattern of a flower. I want it to be see through and this wood is way to big to go through the scrollsaw so I’m going to improvise. Also, I will buy cut-out letters at Michael’s to spell her name.
Then I took the sides, shelves, top, and bottom and used the Kreg to drill pocket holes.
After clean up time spent in the shop was 1.5 hours.