After discussing it with my wife, we decided it would be better to have another shelf on the bookcase and shorten the toy storage area.
Easy enough. I ripped out a new shelf, trimmed to size a d drilled pocket holes. Some glue and screws and a other shelf is born. Hint: it’s the narrow one directly above the large opening, bottom left of the above picture.
All I needed to do was drill a small hole at the base of the stems and the jigsaw cut out the stems quickly. It took another 45 minutes of tweaking and softening edges with files and sandpaper, but I finally got it done.
To close out the day, I glued and screwed it in place (I had drilled pocket holes in it a few days ago). Now it’s really looking like the idea in my head! After I get the edge trim on to hide the plywood edging, the fun part (castle turrets!) can begin!
Time today: 3 hours
Total time: 9 hours, 45 minutues