[Castle Bookcase] We Got Turrets!

This is a short post but has a picture that shows more than I can write.  I cut the sonotube up in two 12″ long segments (the sonotube, used for pouring concrete pillars, is 8″ in diameter and made of a heavy duty wax lined cardboard—in short the Japanese saw cut through it like butter!).  On those two sections (the kids got the 4′ of scrap to play with lol) I cut out a semi-circle, leaving half the tube open for 7″.  That left a 5″ tall tube trailed by  7″ of half a tube.  So when I put it on the bookcase like so:


we have two turrets sticking off the side of the bookcase!  I went ahead and measured, then cut (using the scrollsaw) semi-circles to fit the bases of the towers….and then I cut increasingly smaller semi-circles to make a step pattern for the bases of the turrets:


Of course they are upside down right now…but when installed will give the bottom of the turrets a little decorative flair. 

Sara came up with an idea to make little toy compartments in the side turrets so that will be accomplished before I connect the turrets properly….

But you can see from this full view shot of the dry fit that its starting to really look like a castle!


Time today: 1 hour

Total Time: 12 hours


About Marcus Richardson

Marcus attended the University of Delaware and later graduated from law school at the age of 26. Since then, he has at times been employed (or not) as: a stock boy, a cashier, a department manager at a home furnishing store, an assistant manager at and arts and crafts store, an unemployed handyman, husband, cook, groundskeeper, spider killer extraordinaire, stay at home dad, and a writer.
This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s