[Castle Bookcase] Modifying the Turrets

I took the opportunity today to cut doorways in the sides of the turrets per Sara’s suggestion.  With the razor saw and a box cutter it was not difficult.  I sketched out two Medieval looking arch doorways and cut them out. 

Once the turrets were finalized, I grabbed the scrap 1/8″ hardboard (leftover from the back I cut out a while back) and used the scrollsaw to cut out two semi-circles to make “cielings” for the little turret rooms.  Here’s the glue-up in progress:

image

In the above picture you’re looking up through the “floor”.  You can see the door there in the middle.  The ceiling hardboard is drying here.  And here is both turrets drying:

image

After these were gluing, I pulled out the semi-circular pieces for the turret bases and sanded everything smooth to final shape.  That took most of my shop time today.  Once the ceilings are dry, I can glue the turrets up and attach to the  bookcase.

Time today: 1hour, 15 minutes.

Total Time: 13 hours, 15 minutes.

Advertisements

About Marcus Richardson

Marcus attended the University of Delaware and later graduated from law school at the age of 26. Since then, he has at times been employed (or not) as: a stock boy, a cashier, a department manager at a home furnishing store, an assistant manager at and arts and crafts store, an unemployed handyman, husband, cook, groundskeeper, spider killer extraordinaire, stay at home dad, and a writer.
This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s