[Castle Bookcase] Gluing the Turrets

Today I finished the lower part of the turrets.  The bottom pieces were glued up this morning.

image

Then when they were dry (enough) I attached them to the turrets:

image

Then I did a test fit a few hours later and here is what it looks like:

image

Looking good, so I moved on to glue up the corbels and main turret platform like so:

image

As everything dried I cut out two 9″ diameter circles from the 1/2″ plywood for the tops of the two turrets.  More fun with the scrollsaw!   These will eventually be lined with “crenellations made out of the 1/8” hardboard.  To make the crenellations, I think I’m going to use the drill press and drill half-holes along the length of the board.  The effect will be the same as square holes but it should take a LOT less time.  And I doubt Kylie will care or notice the dofference.

But…hehe…that will take a drill press table.  Luckily I came up with an idea for one that shouldn’t take too much time to make.  That will be next….

In the meantime here’s a parting shot of the left turret with its top in dry fit mode.  I am so excited with how this is turning out!

image

Time today: 2 hours.

Total time: 15 hours, 15 minutes.

Advertisements

About Steven M. Vaught

A native son of Delaware, now living in Illinois, Steven is a writer, family historian, amateur astronomer, sometimes-gardener, woodworker, father to three wonderful children, husband to a wonderful wife, and caretaker of one cheeky vizsla.
This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s