[Castle Bookcase] Crenelations and Glue Up.

A lot of progress today.  I decided to skip using the round turret tops because it was proving to be too difficult to get the hardboard and then thin plywood to make the curve.  Everything either snapped or would simply disintegrate when soaked with water.  Here’s how the center turret looked when cut out of the Sonotube:

image

image

Not bad, but the tips were frayed and not very strong.  Kylie would be sure to destroy them pretty quickly.  So how to make them stronger?  Well, after thinking about it for the past few days, I came up with a cool idea.  I turned the circle bases into hexagons.  Then it was relatively easy to cut the crenelation pieces from the plywood and fit to place.

To begin with, I had to glue up the little shelf on the middle turret.

image

Then I had to finish the first part of my new drill press table.  You can see more info on that side-project by clicking on the link here.  Once the drill press table was complete, I realized that the whole reason I made it (to punch holes in the Sonotube) would be a waste of time as the Sonotube wouldn’t flex enough to allow me to cut the crenelations with a Forstner bit.

That’s when I had the revelation to use a hexagon base, instead of a circle.  Back to the drill press and I started the process of making my crenelations:

image

After spacing the holes (one half the bit diameter) I just made a whole lot of them in a line, pop, pop, pop.   This is the first real use I’ve gotten out of the press and I love it.  Then using the Japanese razor saw, I sliced the holes in half.  Then I cut the strip of semi-circles free:

image

After that, it was easy to measure each side of the hexagon and cut the crenelation to fit.  some glue, a few tiny nails and before long, the turret platforms were complete!  It only took a little planing and sanding to get the bottoms flush, then it was time to glue to the turrets.

image

I repeated the process for the middle turret (but made that half an octagon instead) and pretty soon everything was nailed and drying.

Here’s a shot of the whole shebang:

image

The middle turret is done, other than filling cracks with putty and sanding, etc., and is held on with clamps in the above picture.  I’m going to prime and paint the middle turret and then install it when the bookcase is done and up in Kylie’s room.   This thing is getting heavy and adding the bulk of that third tower just doesn’t make sense until it’s all finished.

Tomorrow’s task will be to putty up all the cracks, sand everything smooth in preparation for priming and get cracking on the little “door”.  Very pleased with how this is turning out!

Shop time today: 3 hours.

Total time: 20 hours.

Advertisements

About Marcus Richardson

Marcus attended the University of Delaware and later graduated from law school at the age of 26. Since then, he has at times been employed (or not) as: a stock boy, a cashier, a department manager at a home furnishing store, an assistant manager at and arts and crafts store, an unemployed handyman, husband, cook, groundskeeper, spider killer extraordinaire, stay at home dad, and a writer.
This entry was posted in Projects, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s