The color scheme on the castle is fairly simple, but it coordinates with Kylie’s bedding on her new big girl bed. Two shades of purple, one light, one dark.
My master plan is to use flat paint, then cover the entire project in a few coats of clear shellac and sand and buff to get the perfect glossy-but-not-slippery surface.
For the main castle and turrets, I got a quart of the light purple at the BORG. For the highlights, crenelations, roof, inner portals, etc, I got a sample cup of the darker purple.
Underneath everything was a heavy coat (one coat plus touch ups) of primer. Here’s the primer…
It took about three hours for the priming two days ago. I let it dry completely over night and hit it with the light purple yesterday. This took only an hour and a half:
For the last half hour of shop time yesterday, I put down a layer of dark purple on the crenelations.
Today, I did another layer on the crenelations and taped off the interior of the turrets and then switched back and forth doing touch ups with both light and dark paints.
As you can see I also added a bit of a border around the side doors to give it a little decoration. I think it turned out pretty well!
I also painted the letters that spell “Kylie” in the dark purple so they’ll contrast nicely against the light purple. I painted the mirror frame the dark color as well. The letters will be installed next…
Shop time (three days): 7 hours.
Total time: 34 hours.