[Shop Org] Busywork

I had sporadic time in the shop today as the kids were in and out all morning and took very short naps today.  I kind of don’t mind on account of how humid it was…got tired of the sweat dripping on tools and wood.

But I did get some housekeeping tasks done.  For starters I finally nailed the boards to the shelf on the router table in place.  Now I have more storage!


Continuing upgrades for the router table, I made a little cord cleat out of some scrap pine and sanded the edges smooth.  Took maybe 5 minutes and makes a big difference in keeping things tidy (and keeping me from tripping in my crowded shop!).


As far as progress on the Rocket Bookcase goes, I didn’t get very far.  I had planned on cutting a little support for the top shelf today, but when I realized I needed to use the coping saw again I decided to quit screwing around and make a coping saw jig for the leg vise.  This little thing brings your work up to a more comfortable height (cutting the last two curved shelves was easy, but left me bent over and with a sore back a few hours later).  To make things fun, I whipped out some quick dovetails for much needed practice.  A little sloppy but still better than a year ago!


Here’s the dovetails:


I need to plane it a bit to make the dovetails nice and tight but I want to let the glue dry first.  It is beefy (yet still made from 3/4″ pine) and the dovetails and side supports (glued and screwed) make it plenty strong.


And to wrap up, I took a look around and decided today would be the day to finally get my little air compressor off the floor.  It is amazing how such a little device (it’s takes up a 8″x12″ footprint) takes up so much space in my little shop.  I made a little shelf (1/2″ plgwood reinforced with 1x4s at the corners, hanging from the shelves in my garage by 2x4s cut to length) and screwed it in place.


Taking a cue from the router table, I added a scrap wood cord cleat which you can see in the above photo.  Eventually I’m going to get enough tubing to stick the compressor out the door (just out of frame in the above photo) and run air hose along the joists in ceiling across the garage to the workbench.  One can dream….

At any rate, the floor is a little cleaner, two cords are a little tidier and more protected and I feel like I got something accomplished despite no progress on the main project.


About Steven M. Vaught

A native son of Delaware, now living in Illinois, Steven is a writer, family historian, amateur astronomer, sometimes-gardener, woodworker, father to three wonderful children, husband to a wonderful wife, and caretaker of one cheeky vizsla.
This entry was posted in Workshop Organization and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s