Still working on this project but due to a back injury I’ve had to slow waaaaay down on my projects, chores, just about everything. In fact, the only positions I could be in and be somewhat comfortable was either laying on my back or standing up. Carrying stuff and leaning forward or back is right out. And it’s been that way for 3 weeks. But, I am going to a chiropractor now and things are just starting to improve (but man it feels like I’ve been hit in the back with a 2×4 now lol).
At any rate, I have been able to get a little bit of tinkering done here and there. So here’s the latest progress report:
I cut the hole for the hatch and installed an inner lip of hardboard to frame the opening:
I also cut out the hatch itself (just a piece of pine big enough to cover the opening with a little lip, really). Here it is in place for a test fit.
So then I had to come up with a hinge mechanism, since the hatch is about 1.5″ above the rest of the curved part of the bookcase. Here’s what I came up with, using 1/2″ oak:
The flat part will sit on the hatch surface, then curve out over the edge. The round part will have a 3/8″ oak dowel running vertically around which the hatch can rotate. I used the coping saw to cut it free. Here’s what I mean:
Using this prototype, I sketched out two nicer ones, with curves set to match drill bits to make waste removal easy.
I’m thinking to cut two smaller pieces that will anchor the dowel in place to the bookcase, and support the hinges as they move the hatch….haven’t designed that part yet though.
This much took me probably 2 hours over the past few weeks…
At some point I’m going to have to cut some fancy angled pieces to connect the two “stages” together….haven’t quite figured that out yet.
Time for this post: 2 hours.
Total time: 12 hours, 30 minutes.