[Mobile Band Saw Stand] Framing the base.

Well, I’m still on quasi-bed rest from the doc.  No lifting, no twisting, and no woodworking.  But….that doesn’t mean I can’t lay here on my back and update the blog on my phone!  I have been storing pictures and progress for a month now since my back started to act up back in late August.  It’s painfully slow progress to heal a back that was jacked up as bad as mine, but progress is progress and I’m in a LOT less pain now!  So that’s good.

Anyway, here’s the deal.  The band saw, awesome as it is (and fun lol) takes up just enough space on the bench to make it awkward to work around.  Solution?  A base/stand…with wheels!  I envisioned it made of tubafores (been watching a lot of Stumpy lately heh heh…since I’m not exactly mobile at the moment) a box on the bottom for the base and a smaller box on top, to which the band saw will be mounted via a plywood platform. The two boxes would then be joined by legs (also tubafores).

To make it mobile I’m going to mount casters on more tubafore lengths using the ingenious method in this video, and this one. If it works, I will retrofit it to the router table as well!

Okay, so just before I started chiropractic sessions, I slapped together the bottom and top boxes. Nothing fancy. The upper, smaller box is about 3″ shorter and just as wide as the lower. That ended up being a mistake—I meant to make the base larger in both dimensions but (and I will blame back pain as ruining my concengration) I endes up making two rectangles instead of squares….

image

Nothing fancy here, just simple butt joints, glued n’ screwed. As the glue was drying, I attached he legs, cut to length to match the height of my bench (the band saw is at a comfortable height sitting on the bench right now so I figured I’d keep it there).

image

Once the legs were attached to the base, I cut half lap joints on the ends, with the razor saw.

image

This allowed the top to slip in nice and secure. With a little tweaking it was as close to a perfect fit as I’ve made using this technique!

image

However…I quickly discovered that one of the sides on the base was twisted and it threw the whole contraption off-kilter. To fix the slight wobble and gove the base a little more stability to boot, I cut some feet on the band saw:

image

Then being very careful to make sure each one was square and at the same spot on each side, I glued and screwed them to the base.

image

As you can see, this gave me an unlevel base with four feet. And the picture shows the gap on one side. Back to the band saw to make shims from the cutoff tubafore bits laying around.

image

Perfect. That fence I made for the little band saw is coming in handy! I flipped the base over and dry fitted on the ground:

image

And the level is spot on. All that’s left is to glue up the shims and go get some more tubafores and casters and mount the plywood to the band saw and put it all together!

image

Here it is gluing up, and the way it’s been sitting for a week. With the way my back is slowly healing, who knows when I’ll get back out in the shop, but at least the hard part of this project will be done!

Advertisements

About Marcus Richardson

Marcus attended the University of Delaware and later graduated from law school at the age of 26. Since then, he has at times been employed (or not) as: a stock boy, a cashier, a department manager at a home furnishing store, an assistant manager at and arts and crafts store, an unemployed handyman, husband, cook, groundskeeper, spider killer extraordinaire, stay at home dad, and a writer.
This entry was posted in Projects, Workshop Organization and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s