At long last I was feeling well enough to strap on the back brace and tinker in the shop. First order of business was to get the band saw base finished so I could move the band saw off the bench and get back to work on the Rocket Bookcase before winter sets in.
First order of business was to cut the 2×4 segments needed to form the wheel supports and levers. Once that was accomplished (with only minor swearage and back pain on my part) I attached castors.
Then I screwed together the supports and attached the lever arms to the wheel bases and put all that inside the bottom frame. It’s important to remember which one is which: the long lever (boosted up on a 2×4 block) goes on the rear of the base. The shorter lever goes on the front, which allows it to stick up and ride the rear lever. Like so:
In the above photo, the rear of the base is on the left. I have two hinges from an old door we removed….somewhere…not sure which house they came from now that I think on it….but they were nice and solid, fit perfectly and one hinge per side does the job adequately.
The long lever sticks out towards the front:
Which allows you to put your foot in between the legs….
(Next time I do this, I’ll make the long lever another 6 inches longer…as it is, I can just put my foot in there and push down…any shorter and I wouldn’t be able to reach it)
Then all you do is push down (slowly so you don’t upset the balance of the tool)…
Until you reach bottom. As that happens the curved “hook” made of 3/4″ ply scrap (attached to the base with a big screw I found and a spring to hold it tight) is pushed aside and snaps back into place, locking the long lever in place and keeping the wheels deployed:
This keeps the base a out an inch or so off the floor:
Here I need to make a note. Originally, I used a four pack of 1 5/8″ casters on this. Turns out this product was crap. The wheels refused to roll unless perfectly straight and….wait for it….they didn’t rotate worth a damn. Serves me right for going cheap. So…for the purposes of this post, it was a failure, but I have since replaced them with beefier 2″ casters (rear are fixed, front are swivel) and it glides like a dream.
That said, I wasn’t done with this thing. Ooooooh no. Next, I attached an electrical box with a duplex and power switch, made out of an electrical cord following “Ask Woodman”‘s excellent videos. Check out the one I used as an instruction manual here. In short, I took an old extension cord that needed a new male plug (the ground pin had been ripped out a while back and I finally decided to repair it) and cut it up. I then wired the switch and chained it to the duplex. I then added a new male plug and attached the box to the rear left leg on the base. Now I can plug in the light (or shop vac) and the band saw and have a power switch to operate both.
As you can see in the photo, the next thing I did (after installing the band saw in it’s new home!!) was to make a little cord cleat out of some scrap pine. With that, the mobile base is complete!!
I really can’t say enough good things about Ask Woodman…if you haven’t checked out his channel on YouTube, especially if you’re a novice like me, you need to. Guy has some quality stuff. The electrical work on this project was one of three videos he produced, each about 12 minutes long and showing every detail, every step of the way. Absolutely gold, man.