Today, taking advantage of the 50° temperatures outside after another cold snap (yes, it snowed two days ago) I used my hand planes to knock down the slight lip on the maple support of the shortened desktop and the pine trim piece I glued up last time. It only took a few minutes – it took me longer to remember how to stand and hold the thing than it did to start the shavings flying. It’s been entirely too long since I was in the shop. Nevertheless, I quickly had a nice level surface on the bottom.
Once everything was prepared, I pulled out a classic cove (5/8″) bit for my new router (a Dewalt compact kit with plunge base) set everything up and went to town.
The router started smooth, is a heck of a lot quieter than my other ones and was a joy to maneuver. Three shallow passes and I was in business. I will likely do a review of this little router later.
Anyway…As you can see in the next photo, I got a bit of tearout on the very end, but that was because I was climb cutting (very very slowly, even) to get it smooth in the curve. I don’t fault the router in this, but rather that I didn’t get this section of the pine completely flush to the particle board backing. The gap let things vibrate and it just chipped out. I think. Here’s what it looked like:
No worries though – a little touch up with my carving chisels and I had a nice flowing transition from real thing to repair job…on one end:
I knocked off the sharp edges with sandpaper and called it a day. Most importantly, I impressed the heck out of my wife – bonus points!
Now I just need to wait for a day when it gets above 65°-70° so I can play with stains to try and match colors. Then I can cross another project off the list! (And get my desk back!)