I got back to work on the painting today after a week or so of bad weather. It helped a lot that Mom was in town and kept the kids occupied 24/7 (hey, when grandparents are around, mom and dad become chopped liver – I have learned to embrace this blessing!)
And I also painted the letters that will spell “USA” on one side and “KJV” (my son’s initials, not “King James Version” lol) on the other side…
Also put paint on letters and hinge. You can see I put a random screw in the bottom to hold it up for painting and drying. The paint I used (a sample can of Behr paint in flat black with the primer built in) is in the background:
To get the hinge arms, I used a dowel to hold everything separate:
And the upper stage (including cabin windows for the Apollo capsule – those little triangles at the top):
Another couple hours worth of work but she’s getting really close to being finished. Once I tighten up the lines with some white paint, it’ll be time for the shellac and the final assembly.
Time today: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Total time: 20 hours.