Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs
…and painted the base.
It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look pretty and—smooth!
I continued to apply thin coats of primer (3 total) on the legs, letting it dry about 15 minutes each time.
In between coats, I finally figured out how I’m going to attach the drawers. I will use a piece of leftover flooring (oak) and attach it across the width of the top. I plan to attach this piece slightly off-center, so I can use it to hang a strip of 3/4 plywood. This plywood will be the center support for the drawers. I’ll cut matching pieces of plywood to hang between the legs (anchored by pocket holes) for the side supports. It’s kind of bulky to explain, so we’ll just jump right in…
The first step was to get that piece going across the width of the top. The piece I found was about 2” too long. Easy enough. I broke out the pull saw and, determined to make this a good tight fit, got the little square out to make sure I made a perfect cut.
It worked! Hot diggity, when I test fit the piece, it was so tight I had to use Krokskaft to persuade it into place—but not so tight that the end grain wood started to splinter. A jab to the center and it popped free. That’s about the nicest seam I’ve ever cut!
That only left one problem—being flooring scrap, the oak is cut in tongue and groove from the factory (or whoever made it). I needed a solid surface to glue and screw the plywood too, not the gap the groove provided. That means I needed to get rid of the tongue.
I fired up the band saw and made short work of that little strip of extra wood using my rip fence.
Unfortunately, I’m not hate best at the band saw, so despite my best efforts, there was a bit of a rough edge. Not to worry, I have a jack plane! I planed the edge—it only took a few seconds to clear off the cluttered bench and set up the plank:
And here’s the result! A nice, crisp planed edge!
Nice. The next step—time was quickly slipping by—was to cut free the side supports. Cue my dreaming of a table saw again. The plywood scrap I had left was too awkward to safely attach to the sawhorses and still use the foam insulation. I had to place it all on the floor—which killed any thoughts of using the clamps to hold my straight edge. Sigh.
Seeing as how these pieces will be hidden under the table, I just screwed a straight piece of scrap to the wood and ripped it free with the circular saw. A few minutes wasted later, I had two pieces cut, then unscrewed the guide, made my final measurements and screwed it back in place. Last cut made, I brought the pieces over the bench and drilled me some pocket holes:
And the timer went off and I had to get the baby up to go pick up the kids from school. I was frustrated (as usual) that I had to quit just when I was getting into a groove, but the abbreviated sessions are allowing me to focus and really do a nice job on this project, so I guess it all works out in the end. Besides, that oak piece for the center support is about the best work I’ve ever done on prepping wood for installation. I am just tickled pink over how that came out.