Fixing the boxes with the table saw proved to be a simple matter—which is good, since I didn’t have much time in the shop today thanks to early pick-up at my son’s school.
[You’re probably curious as to how this thing arrived in my shop. Well, that’s a story for another day. I’ll do a full write up on the table saw and explain it’s purchase after Christmas. At the time of writing, it was just the beginning of December. However, it takes a while to edit and post and I was trying to work more than write on this project. Fyi, today is December 23, 2015]
I set the saw up (I love how smooth this thing is!) and set my rip fence so I was going to remove about 1/4” of material from the top edge of the drawers. That put me just a hair outside the line I drew to establish the correct height.
Then I removed the blade guard and riving knife (which made me instantly wary—that blade looks awful big and sharp sticking up like that on its own) and lowered it so in effect I would be making a tiny dado cut. I only sliced a little over halfway through the thickness of the drawer sides.
With those cuts made, I still had to remove the waste, now hanging on tenaciously by a few millimeters of wood. The pull saw made short work of that without nary a stutter.
All that was left was to clean them up with the block plane (a few swipes per side, per drawer). The drawers were—at last—ready to have their faces notched in prep for the face plate installation.
It also left me out of time. It’s amazing how fast time goes in the shop. It’s like it’s some sort of time vortex or something. sigh
Ah well, of to go get the kiddos and plan tomorrow’s adventure!