Today saw an abbreviated shop time due to visiting family and falling temperatures outside. That said, I still got a lot done and one step closer to completion!
First up, I decided to cut the wings in half. As it was, the single piece “endzones” were a bit big for my kids to lift and the middle divider for the tray underneath made a strange look, visible directly under the cut out. So under advisement from my lovely wife, I decided to cut them in half, create another finger hole on each (making 4 panels total), and then paint. That will have to wait until I can get them to fit right.
The right wing is just a hair off (about 1/16”). The wing therefore tilts up toward the end of the table. Not good. So, instead of trying to chop down the little rail support the wing rests on (idea #1) I ended up routing a rabbet in the wing, just wide enough to rest on the lip.
I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at this (routing a rabbet).
And now it fits much nicer!
Once that was complete, the weather really started to turn. I think it dropped about 10 degrees over the course of a half hour or so as the storm long rumored to be dropping early season snow on our area, began to approach.
With that motivation and while watching the shop thermometer drop from 65 down to 50 or so, I broke out the primer and put on a good coat on the top of the table.
I left the garage open as long as possible to allow the fumes to escape but the wind started picking up and I figured my shop time was done. According to the weather forecasts, I might be done for the next few days. Temps are predicted to drop down into the teens.
The last few things I need to do involve spraying another layer of paint on the top, then clear coating—all of which needs temps above 50 or so. Then I need to finalize and repair the drawers. After I paint the drawer fronts, it’s assembly time! Getting close!